Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Control Freak

Control freak


Valuable lesson learned this week. I am a control freak. I did not realize this until I found myself in a position that I HAD to delegate jobs to others and in that delegating, had to stop myself from giving exact step by step instructions on how that job was to be done. I learned to stop, breath and tell myself that they could handle it and that if they didn't do the thing the way I would did not make it wrong. I stopped myself a hundred times at least from commenting or in the middle of a comment on how to blow up a balloon, or how to tie a balloon or how to make a sandwich for a baby shower or how to hang a streamer or how to turn a cup just 1/16th of an inch so the best side showed.... yes, apparently, I am THAT woman! Oh, I HATE THAT WOMAN! How has no one killed me yet for this? Or pointed it out to me? How is it that everyone comes to me saying, help me with this, and then not say, “Penny, you are NOT helping, you are TAKING over!”?

Having this surgery so close to a baby shower I had planned turned out to be a good thing. Not the nightmare I was scared it would become. I learned something. I learned something about myself, that was important, that I am a control freak when it comes to doing the parties, I want them done my way, exactly my way. I learned how to give up some of that control this week, I learned to see “THAT WOMAN” in me, and to tame her, if not banish her completely. I learned to trust that others can do the job I assign them and I learned to sit back and LET others help. Who cares if she used the heels of the bread in those sandwiches other than me? When the guest of honor calls her party a success, we cheer and accept it as such. She enjoyed herself, she got the things she needed and everyone had fun. AND THE HEEL SANDWICHES GOT EATEN TOO!

Successful party, and lesson learned. Now if I can only keep this lesson learned for the next one!




Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love to hear what everyone has to say!